Friday, April 17, 2009

Aren't they too young?

So I'm contemplating putting my eldest in Preschool next year. Actually doing a little more than contemplating, I have her slotted to be in a preschool that is just around the corner. She is so excited for school but is convinced she is going to elementary school...like tomorrow. Whenever she uses a pencil or pen on paper she calls it school. Anyway she is loving the idea of learning from someone other than me. The only problem is I can't get the budget to work.

My husband and I aren't poor, in fact we have exactly what we need and we manage quite well (when nothing else is added to our list). Lately I've been pushing my husband to agree to life insurance for me and him. It was a long fight because he really doesn't like spending money. But I explained that we aren't being responsible parents not providing for our children if a tragedy arose. Finally I convinced him, but fitting the expense into our budget makes it rather taut.

The extra expense of Preschool is starting to make me sweat. How do people do it? How can they afford everything else and paying for somewhat of a glorified playgroup for three days a week for a few hours. In Florida the state paid for preschool for parents (perhaps that is why they have a 2 mill dollar deficit and are threatening to close my friends elementary school they send their kids too). But aside from that I am a little sad thinking about how much this is going to cost and where in my husband's paycheck we're going to come up with the cash.

When I was little I never went to preschool. My mother taught me and my six brothers and sisters our abc's, numbers and (most importantly) how to tie our shoes. That was all I needed for Kindergarten because all we did was play and take naps. We didn't learn how to read until first grade. Now children have to be reading and writing in kindergarten. I think I could prepare my eldest for the academic load she will face in kindergarten (she had letter recognition from age two and is almost reading at three), but she would be behind socially. Everyone puts their kids into preschool so if someone doesn't their kid is behind in important social skills which in turn affects them academically.

I really want my eldest to soar in school. I don't need her to be the smartest or even the most well behaved I just want her to have a good experience. How come we put so much expectations on our children. It's like we are prepping them to stand out from the crowd at three. Now I'm not saying people who put their kids in preschool are crazy parents that are trying to get their kids a head start (after all next year I'll be one of them). I just think society has it all wrong. Shouldn't we just be happy if our kids can get through the school years with as little emotional damage as possible. After all they can always catch up to the curve academically in Junior High, get good grades in High school and go to a great college (or a good one in my case).

I don't know...my grandfather had ten kids and he always said. "As long as they aren't too smart or too dumb they'll do great in life". Average has lost the prominent place it deserves in our society. Why do we all need our kids to be the smartest, prettiest or even the best in a sport or musical instrument. If they are happy just being average (which most people are) then why can't we be happy for them.

I moved to the city when I was in Junior High and couldn't participate in music, drama, sports or almost anything else. Why, because everybody had been trained since they were five years old in sports and instruments and the level they were at was elevated. Participation should be something kids get to do in Junior High and High school not something they have to be groomed for from age five. Most of the people who made it into things didn't enjoy them anyway because their parents had picked that road for them when they were too little to make a real decision. I know we are all concerned as parents to have every door possible open to our kids, but if it were possible just to let them be kids I think they would appreciate it more.

I know it is society more than individuals, but we could change it...if we wanted to.

4 comments:

The Hill family said...

I personally don't think Preschool is necessary. As much I too want Amelia to go so she can go and play and make new friends. David and I both agree that Amelia goes to nursery every Sunday and we can teach her at home,which is the most important place ,and even do playgroups when we can, then she will thrive. And if not then that is what we're for. So don't stress too much about preschool. You are a great Mom and it shows!!

Shabby Chick said...

I've wondered if they need it too, though in the year my eldest have been going she has learnt to recognise more letters and numbers. But has the hassle been worth it? I don't know. I only went to playgroups when I was little, where we played with our mums there. Nothing technical. And I made it to grammar school! So the jury's out really, though it is nice to have some time just with my little one a few times per week.

Here we're lucky because the government subsidises preschool and they pay for 5 x 2.5 hour sessions per week. If they didn't we definitely wouldn't be able to afford it, my daughter's preschool does 3 hour sessions, so you have to pay for 30 mins and even that is expensive over a term.

Hugs, M xxx

Sarah and Garrett said...

Hi Stranger! I love your cute blog, and I'm glad to see that things are going great for you and your family. As a former preschool teacher, I think that preschool is great for developing social skills and for giving moms a well-deserved break. But knowing what a smart mama your girls have, I doubt the education your eldest would receive there would be any more extensive than what you do at home. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun for you and your daughter.

Stacy said...

I am a firm believe in the village theory. I think that there are more people out there that can enrich my kids lives in ways that I can't. Just like I can do it for other peoples children. I want to give my kids all the opportunity to become well educated and well rounded individuals. I truly believe that I can't do that alone. Like I can't be everything to everyone at once. We all excel in different areas and I think it is great to let those that excel in other areas help my kids. I too wish I could keep them home and safe all day everyday but as they get older I see my biggest job is to make them ready to run out the door and thrive.