Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gotta love children!

So I love my kids, ready for the but, sometimes they drive me crazy. My youngest wants to potty train which is fine but she doesn't understand what she is doing. She loves wearing underwear and sits on the potty for several hours a day of her own accord. She makes us take her to the potty when we aren't at home every five mins. But she hasn't once peed in the potty. She has pooped in it but really how long do I put up with this? Would it make me a failure if I forced her to wear a diaper?

My eldest by all accounts is one of the sweetest kids to walk the face of the earth, ready for the but, she has started to give me major attitude lately and has been saying unfortunate things infront of other people. Lately and I swear I don't know where she gets this (honestly I don't talk like this at home) she has been making comments about "fat" mommies. This hurts my feelings as much as anyone else, I just don't know how to address it. I've told her that if she eats her fruits and vegetables and stops eating when her tummy says so she will never have to worry about the "f" word. How do you teach your kids to be politically correct? Any ideas, really I'm worried about the way this could go.

2 comments:

Sarah and Garrett said...

Sending you lots of hugs! Kids are so funny sometimes. I did have an idea for your little one. I have no good suggestions for the every-five-minutes bathroom trips, but(speaking from little sister experience) I bet washing the panties, pants, socks and sometimes shoes is a pain. They make cute cloth training pants that look like panties but are made to hold everything. Here are some:

http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=16

As for kids saying impolite or weird things, good luck! My sister is 8 and she still says crazy stuff occasionally. When I was little, I stood up in the middle of my mom's relief society class and swore at the top of my lungs. Some of it merits a discussion, some of it is best left ignored. At least with potty training and with saying weird things, it's something that will get better as they get older.

Stacy said...

I begged Ainsley to put a diaper back on. It didn't work. She was the same way. She wanted panties but not to pee in the potty. That was fun. I went to the dollar store and got her a basket of toys. She got to pick one from the basket each time she peed in the potty. It worked for her.
The other situation, well, that's a hard one. I have found that if you really think about it you will find that you have talked about it sometime at home. I discovered that even when they don't seem to be listening they are. Does that make sense? Sometimes I talk to someone on the phone about something, then panic because I know the kids just heard everything and will repeat at the worst moment. When they get older you have to be really careful about what you say all the time because they hear you and take things sooo literally. With my kids, we have had the fat issue, I make sure when I eat or exercise or talk about anything like that we talk about healthy not size or weight. I never want them to hate their body if they are bigger than the girl next door. I want them to know if they feel healthy and strong size is second. Good LUCK!