Saturday, March 14, 2009

Who's tired of being a grown up?

So our washing machine just died!!!

I am so done with things breaking all at the same time. First the computer and now the washer. I didn't even get emotional or scared about the fact that my washer died right after our computer it just seemed to make sense. We finally buy a house and get in a position where we have no savings, my husbands company starts to scale back on bonus' while at the same time expecting him to triple the amount of additional service agreements he usually does and then things start dying. And I didn't even mention the fact that we barely just bought a second car (we'd been a one car family for almost four years). When it rains it pours.

I know I can't complain because no matter how bad or inconvenient it is for me, somebody has it worse.

I just sometimes go to bed wishing that I could be a child again and not worry about bills or insurance or even my waistline. Now I am realistic. I remember that being a kid was tough; so many things felt like the end of the world. I can't even remember how many times I would empty my toy box and climb inside wishing I never had to get out again (because I was so embarrassed over something I'd done). But I can't shake the feeling like I was so lucky when I didn't have to worry about grown-up problems.

Take for example calories. When I was little I never worried how many calories were in a piece of cake, but tonight at a barbecue at my parents house I couldn't not think about how much fat and sugar was in the frosting on a three layer carrot cake. I really didn't enjoy it as much as my daughter who ate it without the slightest thought given to the caloric index. She got home tonight and went to bed happy whereas I not only feel guilty about eating the cake but ontop of that I spent the entire night trying to figure out how we can afford a new washing machine. I was researching deals and trying to get enough information to put together a comparison worksheet so that sometime this month (before we run out of clean clothes) we can buy a new one.

I know, I know, the grass is always greener. But there have got to be some other people out there just as tired of being grownup as I am.

4 comments:

Shabby Chick said...

Me me me! I'm sick of being a grown up too. There's an advert here for washing detergent liquid (I *think* you might have similar there too) where a woman is putting a new cover on the bed and climbs inside and goes to somewhere else... I actually bought it in the hope that I might be able to do that too! Mad I know but the thought of escape was too tempting.

How upsetting about the washing machine. I can imagine how you feel, we are overdue with quite a big (to us) preschool fees bill and I'm not sure where the money is coming from, I thought we had enough and then suddenly it vanished.

You really should post up some of your sewing pictures, I for one would love to see them.

Mel xxx

Sharida said...

Amen Sista!! I have the same thought ALL the time! And I'm feeling ya on the everything in these houses breaking at once. First the furnace then the oven and today our dishwasher was making horrid noises, the ice maker stopped working (but I can deal with that!) and I know our washer's on the way out too! And you know we both float in the same boat. (well barely floating, lol.) You can just some over and wash the clothes in our pond. LOL Like a pioneer! Just kidding!!

All will work out! Someway, somehow, it always does. :) Loves Ya!!

Stacy said...

You can come wash here. That is how I met our neighbor at our last house. My dryer started to smoke and I had wet clothes and 2 naked kids. It was like hi we just moved in nice to meet you by the way here is my laundry can I come in?? It was strange but we were friends since then. So please feel free to use our washer, you even have a key!!

Kylee said...

I am a big fan of KSL. Look at the classifieds and I am sure you can find a good deal on a decent washing machine. Thats how we got ours. Good luck